SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valentinetbear

Keeping My Treasures Clean

valentinetbear
15 years ago

I'm a container gardener with a concrete yard. That means each evening (not a morning person naturally, or health-wise now) the garden is watered, so soil wanders gradually to the drain, a little at a time. Some times I sweep it up and some times I spray it to the drain to clean spots, but that works all the way until my next watering.

I've become quite attached to some stuff. (I own no junk. If I own it, it just can't be called "junk!" LOL) My mocassins, an old leather pocketbook, whose handle is slowly falling off, extra Easter Baskets, and a straw hat I was planning on decorating once, all want to be added to the garden with plants in them. This goes back to "If I own it, it cannot be called 'junk!'" Is there anyway of placing plants in them, and having them out in the elements, throughout the summer and the first half of fall, without the water draining out of them staining them, or giving them a layer of splattered soil on the sides?

My strainers and olive oil cans have plastic lining them with holes poked thru to fairly match the holes on the bottom of the containers, but they all have that fine layer of soil splattered back up on them, too. That's different. I have no fond memories of wearing them, or waking up on Easter searching for them. The stuff I want to use now, really does give me fond memories, so I don't want to see a dirty straw hat, mocassins, pocketbook, or basket by the end of the season. Anyone know if it's possible to use these without that problem?

And, just in case you're considering telling me to hang them, not much to hang stuff on. My chain link fence is older then me, so started falling apart the year I did hang stuff on it (too bad they can't become antiques LOL); my trellis is already full of plants climbing up it and a plant hanging down it, (if your wondering -- the "feet" of the trellis were pushed to the bottom of fairly long containers, since I have no ground to put it in);

and the only way I get any vertical in my garden is growing really tall plants -- but sunflowers aren't strong enough to hang a pocketbook or basket on. (Had a 1 foot high fig tree, until the squirrels decided to pretend they were beavers on it, so don't have trees in my garden either.)

Also, if you can come up with good ideas on how to keep my stuff clean, the next obvious question is, "What do I grow in them, now that it's already July?" LOL

Comments (6)