SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

Planted my first apple and cherry trees on Labor Day

bencjedi
16 years ago

Hello! I am new to growing my own fruit trees. Meijer is clearing out trees, scrubs and roses for 50% off, so I couldn't pass up a deal yesterday (and today). I bought a Fuji apple tree on dwarf stock and a Montmorency cherry tree on Labor Day. I immediately spent over 2 and a half hours digging through my rock-hard clay soil (may as well be concrete) for both holes. I dug 3 root balls deep and wide, figuring the trees would need extra help getting their roots anchored. I mixed in a shrub/tree mix that contains some fertilizer with the local soil. I think the roots will more easily 'take' to this softer area than the native compacted, hard, crusty soil. I also put down some mulch and let the sprinkler soak the whole area for at least an hour after planting these 2 trees.

I realized today the apple tree might not ever bear fruit because I was reading I needed a companion tree of a different apple variety that would bloom at the same time. So.. after work I went back to Meijer and picked up their last Mcintosh apple tree (my favorite apple). I hope my information I found online is correct and that this tree will help cross pollinate with the Fuji (and vice-versa). My yard is small, so I only have around 7-8' between these 3 trees (well not the Mcintosh.. I am soo beat down from the digging the day before, I have this blister on my hand and can't possibly use my shovel in the same way to pry out more evil rocks and super dry clay to bore a new hole for this tree). I dug deep enough that the ground started to hold moisture and I could nearly sculpt pottery with it, so I hope that is deep enough. I basically dug past the worst *detectable* compaction of limestone layer in my ground.

Look what maneuvering the shovel did to my right hand:

{{gwi:123669}}

Guinness World Book of Records for largest blister earned while using a shovel handle to pry rocks/hard dirt while digging holes for trees?

I'll give my hand a few days to recover before attempting the last hole for the Mcintosh. These trees were all $11 to $13 each. I hope they will flourish to help provide screen from the road and yummy fruit to eat someday. How many years under average conditions (adequate watering and fertilizing) can one expect 6'-7' tall trees to bear fruit?

I'll try not to kill myself on digging the last hole. lol :)

Comments (13)