SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

How Do I Tame My 3yo Grape Vines?

bencjedi
13 years ago

Admittedly I failed to properly prune my grapes the last several years. I planted them in spring of 2007 and trellised them along chicken wire fencing strung between the posts on my stockade perimeter fence (I've got a tiny urban yard and am willing to experiment to get any kind of best bang for the buck). In winter 2008 I didn't cut the vines at all. In winter 2009 I cut the vines back such that they were probably 5ft long from the root. I wanted them to grow to the left on the fence where there was the most open space so generally most of the vines trailed in that direction. In early winter 2009 I cut off most vines to about 8' from the root and a few of the longest vines I buried under loose soil and mulch hoping I could propagate some more grape vine plants in the spring. The propagation worked.

The 2009 grape harvest was great.

{{gwi:123638}}From 090909

The 2010 harvest was not great. This is everything harvested today:
{{gwi:123639}}From 082910

What can I do about my 3yo grapes to make them more productive? Have I messed up the optimal way of growing my grapes by improperly pruning the last couple years? What corrective pruning should I do in the forthcoming winter?

As far as the propagated grape vines I plan to follow the guide here to a 'T' - How to Prune a Grape Vine. As long as that information is correct I should be fine with production, right? Should I prune them this forthcoming winter as if they are on the 2nd year by creating the 'Y' type of structure?

These are Niagara grapes.

Comments (12)