SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckyladyd

Raspberries tiny and hard, yellowing leaves

luckyladyd
14 years ago

Hi Knowledgeable Ones,

I am new to growing raspberries. Bought Caroline plants last year and had a very, very small, but lovely crop of large berries in the Fall. The plants came back strong this Spring, with lots of foliage and loads of little berries. Then the rains came. They stayed very wet for most of June and July. Before the berries could get large, many of the plants' leaves yellowed, then some stems turned brown and died. Now, any berries that turn red are tiny and most are hard and sour. I didn't fertilize this year. The area where they are planted was well prepared when they were put in. I did cut back the spent canes and tried to keep up cutting off the browned and dead growth and picking up the leaf drop. I noticed a bit of white fuzzy growth and used a fungus spray on those areas. Also saw some little white wedge-shaped bugs here and there. (Sorry this is so long - I just don't want to leave out an important symptom.)

Question is: Is the constant rain enough to have caused all this? Will they recover for next year? If all the canes turn brown and die, will the roots be muerto also? Is what I thought to be fungus or are the little bugs significant?

Thanks for any advice or help!

Comments (4)