SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benjaminboard

Grassy Weed Identification and Treatment

benjaminboard
16 years ago

Hello,

I moved into my new home right after it was finished being built last June. The builders sodded the front yard and seeded/strawed the back. I watered frequently, but it was one of the hottest, driest summers in years. The drought led to water restrictions so now I am forced to water by hand.

This spring I have reseeded some areas of my back yard and watered them religiously. The soil is the Carolina's infamous red clay, but I was still able to get the seeds to germinate.

Unfortunately, the rest of my back yard is overrun with some kind of grassy weed.

My neighbor has apparently given up on trying to grow a lawn, so I took some pictures of the mature weeds in their yard:

{{gwi:82054}}

{{gwi:82055}}

{{gwi:82056}}

This one is from my yard after a recent mowing:

{{gwi:82057}}

And this one is from an area that I seeded. As you can see, the weeds are still everywhere:

{{gwi:82058}}

And finally, this is a picture from my front yard:

{{gwi:82059}}

I read the "Lawncare Posting Checklist" so I will include it here:

Background Information:

1. Where you live?

Southwest Charlotte, NC

2. What type of grass you have?

I don't know.

3. What products you have applied to your lawn, and how much? These include fertilizer, herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, etc.

I have applied ONLY starter fertilizer to the seeded areas of the back yard.

In the front yard, I applied a fertilizer with crabgrass preventer. I did not apply this to the backyard because I was told it would prevent the grass seed from germinating also.

4. How often and how long you irrigate?

After seeding, I have hand watered my lawn 2 - 3 times per day according to the grass seed instructions.

5. Is the lawn established, or have you recently seeded/re-seeded or added sod? If so, when?

The lawn is not established, but I am trying.

6. At what height you mow and how often?

I just mowed for the first time this season on Monday. I had been trying to wait until the seedling were established, but the weed-grass was getting too long.

7. Results of soil test if applicable.

I have not had a soil test. I don't know how much this costs or if it is necessary. I've had success growing grass seed, so I didn't think it was necessary.

Specifically describe the problem being as descriptive as possible

8. Entire lawn is affected or a specific area(s)?

Pretty much the entire back lawn is affected, some areas worse than others. In the worst areas, there is a thick carpet of this weed-grass.

9. If it is a specific area, what is different about this area? This can include: Shade, standing water, insects/pests, weeds, moss, rocks, heavy traffic, etc. Also, if the problem area is ring-shaped or spreading in any way.

It seems to be pretty much everywhere. It may be a little worse in areas that get more water? I can't be sure.

10. If your problem is with weeds, what type of weeds?

That's what I'm hoping you can help me with. What kind of weed do I have and what can I do about it. What can I learn about this to help me now and in the long run.

11. How long you have noticed this problem and it is recurring?

As i said, I just moved in last summer. There was no back lawn. Crabgrass was a real problem during the drought last year, so I bought some preventer, but I haven't applied it to the back yard for fear of preventing grass-seed germination.

Solution:

12. Do you have a preference towards a synthetic or organic solution?

No. I don't have a lot of money, so the cheapest solution will be the best.

13. Past efforts to remedy the problem.

None beside what I've mentioned.

14. Are any solutions not feasible? (hand pulling weeds for 2+ acres, daily watering, etc.)

Pulling weeds in the heavy areas is not feasible. It is too thick.

Please help me in identifying my lawn/weed problems and give me ideas on how to care for my lawn. I am determined and I have spent a lot of money already trying to create a nice lawn.

Thank You!

~Benjamin Board

Comment (1)