SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edd13chen

Order of application: pre-em, post-em, fert, aerate

10 years ago

1. I guess my first question is, have I missed the window of opportunity to lay down pre-emergent on my bermuda lawn in the Houston area? My hesitation is twofold:

a. Temperature: I've read that I could take a meat thermometer down a couple inches into the soil and see if the temp is below 70 deg. Does anyone know whether now is simply too warm in Houston, or should I just measure the temp?

b. I already have actively growing weeds of all varieties: chickweed, thistle, crabgrass, you name it. They're sparse for now but the ones that have germinated are growing fast.

2. Now, onto my main question, my bermuda lawn needs pretty much everything at this point, since the previous homeowner didn't do much, and I want to start this year/season off on a solid foundation. If I want to apply all of pre-emergent, post-emergent (lots of tall growing weeds including nutsedge), fertilizer, and I'm also considering aeration (the poke-a-hole kind since I don't have the budget to rent a core aerator), what is the right sequence? Can post and pre emergent go down at the same time?

Here's what I'm thinking: Aerate first, then light watering to wet everything, finally put down pre-em, post-em, and fertilizer granules (back-to-back-to-back applications all at once)

Or do I need to put down pre-em first, then wait a few weeks before the post-em? Meanwhile, they make all these products that mix pre-em or post-em with feed, so should I just grab one of those to save time?

Lawn care for first-timers is awfully stressful and confusing during the start of the spring season, sigh....

Comments (6)