SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brwndot

coffea arabica -- bacterial infection?

brwndot
14 years ago

I picked up a coffee plant about 2 months ago (can't resist the clearance carts) that seemed dried out but otherwise okay. It was in a tiny, cracked plastic pot so I repotted it in a slightly larger one. The plant had some brown leaf tips that I removed but it has never really recovered. Leaves have browned and fallen off periodically. I wondered if insects were attacking the plant so I used systemic granules with no results. I'm wondering if it's bacterial. Now that it's cooler I water when the top inch of soil is dry (not more than once weekly) and give it indirect light. Any ideas or is this a lost cause?

{{gwi:112165}}

{{gwi:112166}}

Comments (7)

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Air too dry maybe??

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

I saw this on a plant a long time ago; I think my eventual conclusion was that it was probably a fungus, though I don't remember what led me to that conclusion specifically. If you've got it in a warm, humid, bright environment (which from the Hypoestes in the background, it appears you do), and have had since you brought it home, treatment with a fungicide of some kind (maybe neem oil?) might help. Coffea is kind of fussy even when it's not fighting a fungus, so don't expect miracles, though.

• jean001
    14 years ago

Those leaf edges are dry. Not bacterial. Not fungal.

Some of the quite possible reasons are these:
    1. The potting mix may be too dry.
    2. The root system not yet extended into the potting mix.
    3. potting mix is permitted to dry too much for the as yet small root system.
    4. the small root system never hydrated adequately.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Is the root ball actually getting water? Perhaps when you shower take it in with you. It may love a bath in warm water, or give in warmed bottled water. Is it growing in Peat Moss? Perhaps it need more warmth, or needs to grow cool. Do you have heat from the house that it may not like? Some plants don't like a draft like close to an front door, or window, heating or cooling vents.
    What is the natural soil it would have come from, in Hawaii it's coral or volcanic mix. Does it change with the species, those leaves are suppose to always to be shiny and clean. Perhaps I just need to re-read this article again. Glad I found this group, you are giving me ideas of what to put in my house. I use Sansevieria, now perhaps I will go out and get a Coffee Bean Plant. Norma

• brwndot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's true the nerve plant has done well but I think that's because I mist it regularly. Will try to increase humidity a bit -- maybe pebbles and a little water in the drip tray will help.

The plant was originally in a super peat-heavy mix. The soil was was rock hard when i got it. I watered it before replanting and used a regional potting mix. The bag says 45-55% spaghnum peat with pine bark, perlite, lime and a wetting agent. I used it for container gardening this summer. Should I mix in something else?

Also purchased a grow light bulb for a small fixture. Hoping the increased light will help. Would really like to see this plant healthier.

I can definitely increase the amount of water I give it but I'm a little worried. The leaves aren't only brown but some are a little yellow as well. Will more water make matters worse?

Thanks for all of your input -- I really appreciate it.

• jean001
    14 years ago

The yellow comes before the brown and dry.

It's a tad tough to figure out how to water when you've moved to a larger pot. For one thing, the water will go thru the new potting mix much more easily than through the original dry, cramped rootball.

Other questions remain, especially about your statement that you watered before repotting. Are you certain the mix was moistened throughout? (With a cramped root ball, most likely it wasn't.) It's wise to soak the original rootball prior to repotting, whatever the reason.

So, because the thing was potted up only 2 months ago, I think I'd tip the whole thing out -- over a tarp or newspaper to limit the mess -- and let the "new" potting mix fall away. Then I'd soak the original rootball and again re-pot.

If you don't want to do that, I suggest you stick the entire pot in a bucket that has enough water to cover it. Wait until the bubbling stops, or a maximum of 20 minutes, then remove & drain.

• ronalawn82
    14 years ago

brwndot, the newest leaves are a healthy color; therefore I do not think that there is an issue at root level. The lowest (oldest) leaf is all brown indicating that the plant was drawing upon it for water and/or nutrients. It is exhausted and I'd remove it. The symptom diminishes in extent as one goes up. The fly in the ointment is that yellow/browning leaf near the top on the left. I am inclined to think that erratic watering is the cause when leaves yellow out midway or randomly on the stem but that is subject to confirmation. I'd remove it too. I'd trim off all the brown bits so as to preserve as much green tissue as possible and secondarily to see if the the tips and/or edges continue to brown out. If that continues to happen, it indicates that there is a systemic problem. I think that your plant will be OK.