SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
george_23

Unknown fruit

george_23
16 years ago

I collect fruit trees from all over the world and have over a hundred different type of fruiting trees and vines. I found a fruit tree that I cannot identify that is growing wild in north Louisiana. I am an engineer and just do the fruit trees as a hobby, but am familar with more fruit trees than most people. With all this said the description is as follows:

There are 3 trees growing near each other. Each has a base between 4 to 6 inches in diameter. The trees are about 30 feet tall. The bark is like a cherry tree. It's dark brown and shinny on new branches. The leaves are ovate, about 2" long on average and very vainy. The fruit is about 1" in diameter and is not ripe at this time (August 3, 2007). Some of the fruit is yellowish with a redish tint. There is a single seed in the center like prunis. The fruit has a short stem, not long like a cherry, more like a plum. I thought it may be a sloe, but all information I find describes a blue black fruit. I also find some sloe that describes a yellow fruit with red, but says it gets ripe in early summer. I know cherries get ripe before now. I have some and they were ripe in this area about 6 weeks or more ago. All the plums in this area are very much past ripe by even longer. The wild plum trees (bushes actually)do not get that big and the fruit gets ripe in early June. I bit into one of the fruit and it was not bitter or astringent, but hard still. A fruit is kind of aromatic with a fragrant aroma. It's not a wild cherry. The trees get that big, but have very small black/purple fruit that is not good to eat fresh. I've rulled out cherrys, sloes, plums, but again I'm not a horticulturist so am not sure. Does anyone know what the fruit/tree could be? I have posted messages before on this forum, but never get replies. I would like it to go to my email, but don't know how to make it happen, so my email is gshogg@suddenlink,net. If someone knows please email me, thanks.

Comments (11)