SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalliegal

Plastic Butterflies for the Garden

socalliegal
13 years ago

Okay last night I got the itch to make Butterflies for the garden...ones that will stand up to the life in a garden. All the ones I have bought for decorations always fall apart at the wing joints. I searched on metals, and of course you have to solder or weld...don't know that yet. So I searched under plastic and ah ha..found someone's article on a DYI webby. They basically made them out of large soda bottles as their source of plastic...cool..very accesible and free! They cut off the top and bottom and cut it down the seam side to get a flap of plastic. They had pushpinned it down onto a piece of board. They either had drawn butterfly shapes onto the plastic or the wood underneath I could not tell. Then they painted the plastic with buterfly colors and designs by layering the paints and looking at real photos for a guide. They made a body out of polymer clay. They sprayed the butterfly shapes with a sealer and then attached the body on top of the wings. They had painted on the side where the bottle shape is facing upwards so it gives a bend to the butterfly wings. They had also sandpapered first to give paint a base to stick to. Then they used the butterflies in various applications. I want them for garden stakes. I thought an even simpliar way was to copy out on paper color copies of butterflies and then glue/decopauge them on the underside of the plastic bowing. Oh before I forget it seems they had put a hard bend in a the middle of the butterfly. A sharp crease so to speak to bend the butterfly into it's two halves. Did any of this make sense? I am going to experiment at least today with cutting up a plastic bottle and some butterfly shapes. Anyone have any good ideas to make garden butterflies easily?

Comments (14)