SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rollen_gw

2013 Vegetable Varieties

Rollen
11 years ago

Well I've ordered most of my seed for the upcoming year, but still considering some other varieties. I'm expanding my garden from a 40x30 plot to 60x40 this year so I'm trying some new varieties, plus I have a lot of family members and co-workers that are always willing for any extras. I was hoping someone may give me some suggestions on varieties they really enjoy versus one I had selected. I'm growing a little bit of everything else to so if you had a favorite of another vegetable not listed, I'd appreciate the advice.

Beans (planning for either 2 or 3 60' rows): Emerite, Fortex, Kentucky Blue, Rattlesnake, and Asparagus (Yard Long)

Trying a few different types since I wasn't to happy with the bush variety I tried last year. I'm unsure of the name, but the weather may have had something to do with it in the Midwest.

Corn (8-9 60' rows total): Early Sunglow, Lancelot, Silver Queen; Potentially 277A/Sun & Stars

I'm open for suggestions here. I'm thinking of switching Silver Queen out for the 277A and/or Sun & Stars (Burpee Exclusive) since I have been seeing good reviews on here.

I know I have to space the the different types of corn apart to avoid cross pollination. I've read they need to be around two weeks apart, so Early Sunglow (SU) is ~63 days and Lancelot (SE) is ~79 days which should allow me to plant them at the same time. The others would be spaced two weeks apart in small blocks (4-5 rows) to continue to have fresh corn all season. Also I will probably try an SH2 variety once I pick the Early Sunglow block since the soil should be warmer by that time in June.

Peppers (1-2 plants each of the hot varieties): California Wonder, Flavorburst, Pine Tree Seeds Hot Pepper Mix, Italian Pepperoncini, Pepperoncini (Greek)

Squash: Ambassador, Eightball, Horn of Plenty

This are all new, but the Eightball zuchini looked interesting for stuffed recipes.

Tomato: Black Cherry, Supersweet 100, Sungold, 4th of July, Brandywine (Pink & Yellow), Mortgage Lifter, Porterhouse Hybrid, Cherokee Purple, Better Boy, Early Girl

A few of these are simply to try so I'm only planning one or two plants, but others I want for slicing and making salsa/sauce. What has everyone else had good luck using for salsa and tomato sauce? I've thought about trying the new Supersauce variety available through Burpee. I normally just use early girls, better boys, and big boys, but thought I may as well try something else this year.

Watermelon: Ruby & Tom Watson Watermelon

Comments (8)