SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Advice please: timing on harvesting apples

rosefolly
13 years ago

Over the past four years I have slowly planted nine apple trees on MM111 rootstock, which I selected for drought tolerance. Five of them have produced a modest crop this year. I'm trying to decide when to harvest them. I'm a little dubious about the harvest times I've read, given that climates vary widely. One of the apples that has produced this year is a young Empire. I've read that it ripens late. Well, the apples on my tree look dead ripe. Since there are about a dozen on this tree I decided to taste one.

It was fabulous! I planted this tree for my DH, and I had never tasted this variety before. The flavor was wonderful, juicy and with a crisp flesh, much better than any apples of its parents (Red Delicious and Macintosh) that I'd ever eaten. It's hard for me to believe that I should not eat these now, and it is August, which is hardly "late" in apple harvesting terms.

I have fewer apples on the other four trees, so I hesitate to experiment much and waste them all before they are any good. The other varieties are Winesap, Kidd's Orange Red, Winter White Pearman, and Newtown Pippin. I don't want to pick them before they peak, but there is some time pressure. My dog steals fruit off the trees, and these trees are still in her range.

Rosefolly

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!