SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

Good seed starting containers?

neohippie
14 years ago

This past summer I got one of those seed-starter kits at Lowes, the thing with the trays, 72 cell inserts, and clear dome for the top. I've only started using them (started some fall brassicas and annual herbs in there) and they suck! The cells are really flimsy and are already cracking in places. It's really hard to get the plants out without breaking the cell (or the plant). I have a feeling they won't last me more than one year. Seems like the 6-packs their nursery annuals come in are sturdier than these!

I've noticed some seed companies sell these, and I'm considering ordering some, but I thought I'd better check with y'all to make sure I won't be ordering more that are just as lousy. It would be nice to have pots that are durable enough to be reused for a few years. Do any companies sell more durable seedling pots?

Or maybe I should just use peat pots, though I'm torn on which would be more earth-friendly and/or economical, a biodegradable one-use-only pot or a plastic reusable pot. Of course either would be better than a flimsy, one-use-and-it-falls-apart pot.

(And yes, I did a search for this, but my search terms "seed starting containers" came up with a bunch of general seed-starting info.)

Comments (31)