SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Cabbage, Broccoli, and Sprouts: Help?

sunnibel7 Md 7
12 years ago

Ok, I've started doing my end-of-year review of the garden as a prelude to deciding which seeds to drool over, I mean, order next year. (I really should be writing out cards and wrapping, but...) I came to realize that I've had very spotty success with broccoli, and none with cabbage and brussel sprouts. I think it might be an issue of fertility, and/or timing. Now, I have a tendency to garden "lightly", meaning that I've never used Miracle-gro or other synthetic fertilizer. I do finally have access to an almost never-ending supply of composted manure. So if that's it, I'm ready.

Anyhow, I grow brassicas. They almost never amount to much. First, I had to get used to being "down south", meaning I couldn't plant them in May and harvest them in September like my Mom does. I think I have the timing down pretty good, but even with that this year my broccoli was small, my cabbage plants were small and never made a head, and my sprouts are short with almost no sprouts forming. Do these plants need to put on a lot of lush growth early on in order to "do their thing"? Especially the cabbage. It always starts out looking good then stalls and does nothing but sit there with all its leaves out making no head. Perversely, my Chinese cabbage grew like gang-busters and headed up nicely but it is in a different spot that was used as a garden before I moved in- the main veg patch is brand new last spring.

I'm just puzzled, I grew tomatoes and corn in this garden and they all did great, so my soil and fertilizing was good enough for them. What's up with these brassicas?

Comments (9)