SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larry33843

Harvest Exchange proposal

larry33843
11 years ago

I would like to propose a Harvest Exchange program. For example, I live in Central Florida and grow quite a bit of citrus, at least tenfold what we use. What I don't use isn't enough for commercial harvest.

I would assume that there are individuals that have excess cherries and/or apples in Washington state, peaches in Georgia, and the same and other fruits in various states.

I have Navel oranges from Thanksgiving to Christmas,a few extra Temple oranges around February and Valencia oranges galore from May-July.

I would be glad to box up ten pounds, or twenty, and ship to you for you to do same with part of your harvest when it comes in. Each sender would assume the shipping charges and the recipient would do same when he/she shipped their return pkg.

I posted this proposal so the "devil's advocates" could tell us why it won't work. Hopefully there will be some who like the idea enough to chime in also. I do think FL has enacted some sort of restriction that home grown fruit can't be shipped out of state - must be packing house fruit before you can ship. Purely big growers trying to corner entire market. Absolutely not a thing wrong with shipping clean oranges to a non-citrus growing state, except the big man didn't get a hand in it.

There's also the possibility of someone not sending fruit after a trade partner has sent theirs. We would have to have a rating system so that deadbeats would be revealed.

That's a start, what about it ? Thanks for your consideration, Larry Frostproof, FL

Comments (15)