SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Potatoes: how to get more to store?

sunnibel7 Md 7
10 years ago

Okay, here's another question. I love potatoes but am relativley new at growing them here. I think I may be running into a bit of a mental block about how to grow them since the seasons here are so different from where I grew up. Up there you planted in the spring with fingers crossed that potatoes would sprout rather than rot and you mostly harvested at the end of summer because it goes from hot to cold pretty quick. Down here all the seasons are really stretched out, except winter which is much shorter. That's a long explanation for why I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my potatoes going the way I want.

Right now I'm planting in earlyish spring and harvesting in July. July potatoes store until about now in my cellar, but I guess it is too warm down there since they've been sprouting. I don't really have anywhere better to store them. What I would really like is to have potatoes through the winter that I grew myself. So what might be my best plan? I tried July planting some of the small tubers from the spring planting, but only a few came up and they were kind of slow, so didn't produce very much. (That worked better last year, but why?) Is there a way to make those get started sooner/stronger? Would choosing a later-maturing variety work? Would it make it through our hot summers? Is there some way to make my storage better? Cheers!

Comments (25)