SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Sweet Pepper plants finally died............

dancinglemons
14 years ago

Hello all,

Today in Central Virginia we had our first snow. We have had a few days with temps down in the 30's since late October. I have 3 pepper plants that have survived until now. The plants are Marconi Red (sweet Italian pepper) an unknown Pimento and a Red Cheese pepper plant. I took photos of the green healthy plants while it was snowing and they did not come out very well - I will attempt to post them. I have never - ever had sweet pepper plants last until the first of December. I did not cover them or do anything to them. The pepper plants continued to flower and make peppers -BUT- the peppers were very small - about the size of golf balls. Once the weather got cool I also noticed the peppers had very few seeds inside. The taste of these "winter" peppers is fantastic!!

Has anyone in Zone 7 had this happen to them?? I was tempted to cut them back severely and bring them inside with my hot pepper plants. Perhaps in 2010 I will try and over-winter these sweet pepper plants just like I do my hot pepper plants.

Ideas??

Cheers,

DL

Comment (1)