SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Those pesky honeybees

alan haigh
9 years ago

Every season brings its surprises and the biggest surprise here this season is the huge boom of apparently wild honey bees on my property- I don't think they've been as numerous here since I bought the place about 25 years ago.

What is really strange is how they are spending most of their time tearing up my peaches and nectarines while the bumble bees concentrate on the many open blossoms around the place. I'm not saying they are breaking the skin, although if I hadn't been schooled here on their lack of chewing mouth parts I might assume they were.

Apparently they are exploiting any cracks, pecks or other openings and then burrowing in somehow, chewing mouth parts or no, they seem to be rapidly consuming large chunks of the peaches even if they may only be slurping up juice.

It isn't a huge problem because I have way too many peaches to use anyway, and even harvesting and giving them away is hard to keep up with. At least they aren't just going after the very biggest and best of the fruit the way squirrels and raccoons do. But it does mean I have to be careful while I pick the fruit, in case the side I can't see has a cavern full of honeybees in it.

Oh, and I do know the difference between the appearance of a yellow jacket and a honeybee, and most seasons it is the yellow jackets that are the culprits. This year their numbers are limited and the honeybees have assumed their role.

My neighbor and friend, who is a beekeeper, has also been here to observe this phenomena, and tells me that many hives were lost last year to swarming- when the bee colonies just pick up and leave home for the "wild life". He was actually afraid that I might choose to try to poison them because they've become a nuisance. The idea of intentionally poisoning honey bees seems pretty funny to me.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting