SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seattlelisa

propping up apple limbs

16 years ago

Hi there,

I have two apple trees in my yard, both about 6 years old. One, a Sweet Sixteen, I have had to work very hard bending the limbs out from the vertical. And it now looks pretty good. The other, a Roxbury Russet, has VERY flexible branches, and there doesn't seem to be any changing that. I need to prop them up this year, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've got some 2 X 4's, with notches, but trying to balance the limbs on them is a real challenge. The limbs are so flexible, that they just roll right over any old direction. Also, I worry about rubbing on the bark and damaging the branch. But they've got to be propped, some are pointing below horizontal. Maybe I've got too many limbs? This tree grows like a hydra. It's just crazy. The branches also want to get very very long. I haven't headed them though. It produces apples beautifully, and I thin them every year. It is on semi-standard root stock. Does anyone have any idea how to prop it up properly? And also, any ideas about how to firm up those limbs?

Thanks!

Lisa

Comment (1)