SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Potato Problems and Potato Successes

runswithscissors
10 years ago

My area is prone to potato scab and nearly everyone I know has always had problems with this. So for this past season I ordered "scab-resistant" varieties.
-German Butterball and
-Purple Viking.

Both potatoes grew well but the yield on the Purple Viking was very low compared to the German Butterball. To make matters worse, moles/voles ate more Vikings, preferring the taste over the Germans apparently. Neither variety showed much scab so that was very good..

In the kitchen, the Purples are Delicious! They scrub up and peel nicely. They fry nice, holding together good without getting mushy during the browning process and have a yummy "McDonald's french-fry" flavor. The Germans are a nice buttery yellow, but they have more of a "raw potato" taste, even after they are fully cooked. They get a little mushy during frying, but not bad. I like them...but the mice and I agree...the purple vikings are better tasting.

Problem with the German Butterballs: They have brown spots in the flesh. Not rotten spots, just brown dots all around, mostly in the vascular ring rather than the core. When I dig out a little spot (size varies between that of a pin-prick to about a pencil eraser) and rub it between my fingers it feels sorta corky. I did some research and the only potato "disease" I could find that had this description was IBS (internal brown spot) that is caused (they think) by too much heat and too little calcium. Does anyone have any experience with this potato-problem?

I'm sticking with Purple Vikings for the rest of my life, I already know. No scab, nice big spuds, delicious flavor...only down side is only about 3 or 4 tubers per plant...very low yield.

Comments (16)