SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

is there a pepper plant that produces pepper when plant is tiny?

ticodxb
12 years ago

For some background, I purchased pepper seeds from a seller on Ebay--with a username that is something like flyingappleseed... I finally planted them a few months later and the germination was so bad... with a few varieties, some germinated, with others, none germinated.

I did a google search for that Ebay username and learned he/she is not a reliable seller. So now I do not even know if I got the varieties the seller says I bought.

So I planted some in early September and then also late September because of the poor germination rates. The ones that grew to seedlings did have to deal with hot hot weather.. in September it was still in the low 100s for the highs, and upper 90s for the lows.

This is the only plant that has survived from the September plantings. It is supposedly a Cheyenne pepper plant that grows hot pepper that are orange colored.

Anyhow, the other day it is showing almost blossom-like thingies where the peppers will form and I thought "no way, its still so small!!" and I potted it up right away and now a few days later it looks like a pepper (or something!) is definitely starting to develop.

Is there a pepper variety whose plant is this tiny? It is literally about only like 4+1/2" to 5" tall... or did the plant think I was trying to create a bonsai out of it? Or is this just normal and it will continue to grow?

Here it is on September 28th:

{{gwi:119286}}

Here it is on October 17th (don't remember when I potted it up):

{{gwi:119287}}

Here it is on October 18th after potting it up again:

{{gwi:119288}}

From here, It suddenly started really growing at the beginning of November. I thought it was finally going to shoot up and get going to be much bigger. But it stopped at 5" tall and then started forming buds.

I potted it up again as soon as I the buds forming on the 24th. Not sure this has decided to become a dwarf plant, I only potted it up to a small pot (but bigger than the last) instead of the 7 gallon Smart Pot I intended for it. If you guys think it may grow more I will put it in the 7 gallon pot.

Here it is and showing the buds forming... and one is definitely starting to grow a pepper (or something... though it definitely looked like a pepper seed when I planted it)

This is really just about 5" tall!

{{gwi:119289}}

{{gwi:119290}}

{{gwi:119292}}

Is it normal to start to bud this small? Did it become a bonsai plant or should I pot up to the 7 gallon pot?

Comments (8)