SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lantanascape

Self-watering grow beds - is this crazy?

lantanascape
10 years ago

Summers are very arid here in the Boise area, and there are some crops that have trouble getting off the ground in my raised beds. For instance, I dutifully watered carrot seedls daily for 3 weeks this August and got only 1 seedling. I threw some of the seed in a container of potting soil that was sitting in a tray of water and had tons of seedlings, so I know the seed was good. I'd also like an area where I can more intensively grow things like mesclun greens in sort of a square foot type system, and be able to cover the whole thing with low tunnels in the spring and fall.

ANYWAY, I have one more space in my garden footprint, and it was originally going to be another 4'x16' raised bed, but it's the spot closest to the house, and I'm toying with the idea of some sort of self-watering setup. However, I would prefer to do something more like a raised bed than an actual container. I was doing some thinking while working out there today, and came up with the following: dig maybe 12-18" deep hole slightly smaller than the raised bed, and line that with flexible pond liner. Punch some holes in the pond liner at about the level of the soil surface to prevent excessive water ponding. Layer in some gravel, vermiculite and a rich planting mix with compost, and build a 12-18" tall raised bed with the pond liner stapled to the inside of the lumber. I would then have a giant planting "container" that would retain more water than the native soil, which is quite well-drained. I think I would also incorporate some PVC pipes to facilitate watering down to below the level of the perforations in the liner

Has anyone ever done or seen anything like this? These would be pretty small beds. I'm thinking about 5'x3' and I'd mostly use them for growing various salad greens, herbs and carrots, but nothing really deep-rooted. I'm excited to give this a try, but if anyone has any tips or tales of caution, please let me know. Thanks!

Comments (18)