SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vikingkirken

Advice about winter gardening and veggie varieties?

vikingkirken
15 years ago

I waited WAY too long to get going with my "winter garden", but I just can't bear to see winter around the corner. So I'm in a frenzy to get just a LITTLE more green in the ground!

We are starting to see night temps down in the 20's around here (still in the 50's during the day). The bed I'd like to use is shielded on the north by small evergreens and gets direct fall/winter/spring sun. I still have some warm-weather veggies straggling by there (in fact, I have one pepper that's STILL yielding despite multiple nighttime frosts!) So I'm thinking it's really a warmer microclimate than other parts of my yard. With that in mind, I have a couple questions...

1) Will anything sprout and grow outside at this point? I know some greens (like arugula, mache, and kale) are supposed to be ok over the winter, but I am guessing they needed more of a head start first.

2) Will presprouting or starting seedlings inside help make up for starting late? Or will everything just die once I put it outside? Would it help if I used row cover, clear plastic, or milk jugs to cover them? And at what temps will vents need to be opened/closed?

3) If all else fails, will spinach and lettuce grow and produce in a sunny southern window? Or will they get weak and straggly quickly without supplemental light? For some reason my (reasonably) green thumb turns black the moment I walk in the door to my house... >sighThanks!

Lori (who is already dreading winter and counting the days until the sun is still up after work)

Comments (18)