SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam225

Questions about winter gardening - cold frames and containers...

pam225
15 years ago

Hi,

I posted this over in the PA Garden section, since that's where I live, but there seems to be no activity over there so I am hoping somebody over here can help me! And, I was going to post over in the winter garden or 4-season veggie garden section, but from the looks of things it doesn't look like those forums are getting much traffic, either.

This is my 2nd year at a veggie garden and things are going well. I have now been fully bitten by the Garden Bug and I want to try to continue my garden as much through the winter as possible. So I have questions below relating to cold frames as well as container gardening in the house...PLEASE HELP THE NOVICE!!! :o) (because I think I have to start this stuff now!)

Does anyone out there in the Philadelphia (zone 6) area grow veggies year round in cold frames? If so, what can you grow? I figured spinach, kale, swiss chard, and some more durable lettuce varieties. What about cauliflower and broccoli? Anything else? I already grow beets now, will pick shortly and start the fall crop. Once the fall crop is done, can I plant for over winter? How about carrots? Herbs....do these work outside as well?

With regards to growing indoors, I am starting from seed some tomato plants to put in pots over the winter, as well as some hungarian wax peppers. What about cukes? What kind can I grow in a container that grow up in a bush rather than all over the ground? I have room in a den that has full south exposure by way of a sliding door, so I don't think the sun will be an issue.

I live in Havertown, which is about 10 miles West of Philadelphia. We have had mild winters, but you can't bank on that every year. Any guidance, direction, etc. is most appreciated! My family is enjoying the freshness of the veggies and we are excited to keep it going!

Thanks in advance,

Pam

Comments (10)