SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19741295

Houseplant Pests - Now Soil Mites?!?!?

User
9 years ago

I have only had houseplants for six months and I have found the following pests in my plants: mealybugs, fungas gnats, fruit flies, whitefly, and now, I think, soil mites.

Granted, theses were not terrible infestations because I caught them early, and not all of these pests actually cause harm to the plants, but none-the-less, it seems like a lot of bugs.

In some ways, I have been fortunate. I caught the bugs early. For example the whitefly. While I was checking for mealybugs, I saw a whitefly, only one. I think it came in a hole in the window's screen. There is a tree right outside the window, and I am convinced it came in that way. Thankfully, I got it before it had a chance to reproduce. In fact, it appears that I have averted several disasters, checking my plants regularly, and switching to a faster draining medium.

Last night I discovered what I think are soil mites. I noticed tiny, tiny, fast moving bugs all over the side and rim of one of the pots. These bugs were not really on the plant...but there were a lot of them. At first I thought they were mealybug nymphs, but they are almost invisible, and run around like they are in a BIG hurry. They are so tiny in fact, that I would not have noticed them if they didn't move. Also, they weren't climbing the plant, that also lead me to believe that they are soil mites. Anyway, the soil mites are probably from the bark I used in my medium.

So my question for all of you experienced, or new, indoor gardeners, is this normal? Have you experienced this many types of pests? And lastly, what do you make of this new tiny bugs? Is my theory they are soil mites a good one?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths