SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenup01

Newbie has limp lettuce

10 years ago

Hi - I'm new to both container gardening (right now indoors) and vegetable gardening. I'm experimenting with lettuces and tomatoes, hoping to find easy varieties I can grow indoors.

I have baby mesclun and lollo rosso growing in a plastic container approx 18"L x 6"W x 6"D. Plants are now about 5" tall, fairly compact and I just harvested a few leaves off each. The leaves are very limp. I've investigated damping off and that doesn't seem to be happening. The stems are upright and strong enough to keep the leaves out of the potting mix.

Mix is some organic Gardener's Supply self-watering mix + a little Miracle Gro regular planting mix (20%?), because they aren't in self-watering containers. The lighting is T5 4' grow lights, about 4" away, approx 12 hrs. per day.

(I also have a little kale in the same container, same conditions, that is doing a little better. Leaves are really starting to look kale-like and are less limp.)

I don't know if the limp leaves are due to bad gardening, the lettuce variety, or what. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting