SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgbeig_gw

Explanations for what went wrong? (pics)

dgbeig
13 years ago

Hi all,

It was a great summer. No, I take that back. It was a lousy summer, but any time I grow something new, it feels great to me. I had a lot of success with some new things this year. Sunchokes and potatoes being the winners.

I had a couple questions with pics included and wondering who here may know the answers.

Question 1:

Why did my broccoli go to flower? according to my gardening book, I planted at the right time. I planted several different varieties, some in pots and some in the ground. The ground ones are fine, but the pots, no.

Is it the variety? the timing? the sun?

{{gwi:116900}}

this was fine until last week, now it's flowered too.

{{gwi:116901}}

Question 2:

Why didn't my ground cherries do better?

First year growing them, but supposedly they don't need the sun that tomatoes do. They got hundreds of fruit but they never got full grown. The biggest is pictured here and the berry inside was still just bigger than a large pea.

{{gwi:116902}}

Question 3:

Why did some of my potatoes die before their time was up? Several plants did this in spring, but there was something to harvest. Now a few did these in the last week or so (from a august planting) Thought they were ready, but I dug a few out and mostly found tiny little pots just coming off the root. Is this blight? or were the seeds too old? (i used the same seed potatoes as for spring)I dont have a great picture but the plant is the brown stem on the left.

{{gwi:116903}}

Who can help me solve these mysteries so I can do better next go 'round?

Dana

Comments (10)