SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
excanuck

Another Sad Painting Disaster.Hope someone can explain what went wrong

excanuck
5 years ago

During one of our usual spur-of- the-moment decisions to update a room in our home, approximately 15 years ago, my husband and I decided to replace the original contractor-grade vanity cabinet in our hall bathroom. So, like many DIY couples back then, we headed to Builder's Surplus, a large cash-&-carry warehouse specializing in kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities & countertops . . .and a mecca for DIY-ers like us. To our surprise it only took us a few minutes to find almost exactly what we were looking for. An unfinished cabinet with a lovely, yet delicate grain — the perfect size to fit under our existing cultured marble countertop. I loved that grain so much that I convinced my husband to skip painting or staining the cabinet, and instead hired a professional painter to just apply an eggshell finish.

Fast forward to April 2018 — when I had that urge to update the same bathroom again. Everything was falling into place perfectly when, during another spur of the moment occasion it occurred to me that what was missing in the room was a light green wash on the cabinet to bring all the other colors together.

Just to be sure I didn't mess up, I spent several days looking up different products and ways to apply the paints well as details regarding whether or not to remove the eggshell finish. I've lost track of how many strangers I turned to for input, but they ranged from paint department salesmen, to owners of online blogs and the customer service of the company that made the paint.

Armed with painting supplies from the Dollar Store and Home Depot . ..a paint stirrer from Lower and what looked like a plywood photo frame from Michael's (perfect for checking the color of the paint), I returned home to prep the cabinet for cosmetic surgery.

Since I had been unable to obtain a definitive answer about the need to sand the surface first, I went ahead and did it — happy to find remnants of what looked like eggshell finish on the freshly sanded side of the cabinet. My color samples were perfect, as well. Unfortunately, my good luck didn't extend to the color wash. The grain definitely showed, but the rest of the wash wiped completely off the wood was I wiped it down.

Since I had completed every other step as directed, I don't understand what went wrong. The only possibility I can think of (but which is hard to believe) is that the lovely grain might just be man-made on a slick, faux wood veneer.

Does anyone think it's possible? . . . If so, I would welcome any and all suggestions on what to do next.

I would almost be ready to buy a prefab cabinet and counter top,

but due to the design of the current cabinet and backsplash, replacing it it also would require re-papering the entire bathroom.

Comments (20)