SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Moniqui is an excellent white apricot for mid-atlantic

Scott F Smith
11 years ago

I have tried a dozen white apricot varieties and have my first winner, Moniqui. It is not quite as tasty as the very best (Zard and Canadian White Blenheim), and its not as productive as most of the common commercial apricots today, but it is an excellent-flavored fruit that is looking to be very reliable in my orchard. I have had big problems with splitting, rotting, and other skin disorders on white apricots, but the Moniqui are looking nearly clean -- only a touch of peach scab. Afghanistan was the previous best, but it is less productive, smaller, and not as tasty as Moniqui.

Moniqui is not a late bloomer like Zard is so it is not so good for those with late freezes.

The production has been slowly but surely increasing every year. The white apricots seem to take longer to come into full bearing than other apricots, and patience is definitely needed if you are growing them side by side with a orange variety.

Moniqui has been growing in Europe for many years and most of the other white apricots you can find are directly central asian varieties; somewhere along the line the Europeans got (orange) apricots to withstand rotting better and to produce more, and Moniqui appears to have that benefit as well. My guess is it is a cross of one of the standard European orange apricot varieties with a white apricot - it also has the firmer flesh and larger size of the Euro cots.

The only white apricot I am growing that has not yet fruited is Sugar Pearls, it will be interesting to see how that compares to Moniqui. I think it is a similar genetic cross of central asian white cots with European orange cots.

Scott

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living