SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Identifying monster squash

calliope
12 years ago

My friend wanted me to come over and take some photos of her squash and melon patch, because she had ordered some Hungarian Winter squash seed, and what developed on her vines were not. These dudes are four feet long, tubular in shape with blunt, rounded ends and no taper........like a large breakfast sausage.

My first impression was monster zucchini, but good Lordy, never seen one this large. It has the girth of a watermelon. I've grown zucchini all my life, and I know they come in different shapes but mine were always tapered, or at least had a relatively pointed end. I asked her what the flesh looked like and she 'thinks' orange, but to be honest I don't know if she has cut one open or not. There are five on the vines and it would help to know if there is white flesh.

The skin is not hard and gourd-like. The leaves are zucchini shaped, I think you can see from the photograpsh. Any input? I honestly can't find anything of this size in reference material other than Zucchini. Anybody who is into squash and gourds maybe know if it looks familiar?

{{gwi:116574}}

{{gwi:116576}}

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022