SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ligardener

I'm ready for a break

ligardener
16 years ago

I love my garden. Like just about everyone else in this forum, I really love my garden. But IÂm ready for a break.

From early February, when I started my first seedlings indoors, until today, the garden has commanded almost total attention. From planting the seeds, separating the seedlings, nurturing them, putting them in the ground, starting more and more seedlings along the way, picking the first head of lettuce, and then picking more and more things as they come to maturity, meanwhile fighting the bugs and the varmints without end, itÂs been a very busy nine months. And weÂre not through yet. WeÂve still got the fall crop standing in the wings.

But IÂm ready for a break. The tomato vines are turning brown day by day, and looking awfully scraggly. I canÂt wait to pull them out. The pepper plants are entering their early-fall surge and sending up more peppers than we can possibly use. IÂve run out of ways to tie them up to keep the loaded branches from snapping. What will I do with those three broccoli plants that are now coming into their own? The freezer is already full. And still, weÂve got some peas, and beets, and lettuce still in their middle stages of development.

Yes, IÂm ready for a break. WeÂve had unseasonably warm weather here in the northeast, with no rain and lots of fog. In the mornings the plants are dripping with dew, hastening the decay of that vegetation that is ready to quit, and giving it an unhealthy appearance. The grass clipping mulch has become soggy and spongy. The garden is looking tired, and so do I.

Soon it will come to an end. The first killing frost will arrive, bringing everything to a sudden stop. For a few days I will probably be relieved. But after that (I know this because it happens every year), I will be looking out the window at the frozen ground and begin to miss the garden and count the days Âtill next February when I can start all over again.

Frank

Comments (13)