SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenspots

blueberry question

gardenspots
14 years ago

I planted a blueberry bush (Tifblue) in a self-watering container (half whiskey barrel) this spring. It is planted in 100% peat and is in full sun (9am-7pm or so). I have weed cloth under the soil to keep the roots from growing down into the water reservoir. It's been doing great until recently. The temps have been in the 98 - 104 range for the last few weeks with no end in sight. About the same time we started hitting the 100s my blueberry bush started getting rust colored tips on the leaves. It's on the tip of the leaf and about 1/2 - 3/4 inch down the edge of the leaf only (maybe a quarter of an inch thick on each side, so like a "V" shape just on the tip of the leaf, and not all leaves). It sort of looks like they are drying out, but I don't think so. I could see it very faintly coming in on some new (not necessarily young leaves, just new ones) and it appears to becoming in in a uniform fashion (as in not starting at the leaf tip and progressing, but coming in all at one time on each leaf). Is this just sunburn, a deficiency of some kind or something else? I don't have a way to take pictures, sorry. I know that would help. I have been making sure the water reservoir stays filled and I was using rainwater until my rain barrel went dry, then I have been using water with vinegar mixed in as we have lots of lime and calcium in our water here. The soil stays damp, but is not saturated, so I don't think it's too much water. Any thoughts?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022