SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsoh_ohzone5

Confused about everbearing raspberries

lsoh
13 years ago

I planted 6 Autumn Britten and 6 Caroline everbearing red raspberries last spring. In the fall, I cut them off, maybe 8" tall. This year, the beds are completely filled with canes. I was looking forward to fresh red raspberries starting maybe mid to late August.

Unexpectedly, I've been picking a small amount of ripe raspberries for a couple of weeks now. Only from the Autumn Brittens. And only from a relatively small number of canes.

I'm confused. I understand that everbearers will produce berries early on 2nd year canes, but I cut all the canes down last fall. There were so few canes last year, I'm certain that I cut every last one down. I thought I had to work harder to get early summer berries. Sorting out first and second year canes. Pruning properly. Tying up branches, etc. On the other hand, only a small fraction of only one of the varieties are producing berries now.

Is this normal? Where did I get lost? Or is it really this simple to get early berries? If so, why are only a few canes producing early berries?

Thanks.

Comments (7)