SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onmiown3

Brussel Sprout woes - should I pull them?

onmiown3
12 years ago

Hi All,

2011 was my second year trying to grow Brussels and it looks like my second failure.

This year, I planted out 8 plants, 4 of the Falstaff (purple) and 4 of the Catskill (green). All four Catskills and one Falstaff survived transplanting (Note, it seems to me that Falstaff does NOT like transplanting, as last year none of them thrived after transplant)

They were transplanted out the second week of July in a sunny spot. The bed is raised; a mix of garden soil, peat, and compost was used to make the bed three years ago. Evey spring I amend with compost.

90 days later, only one of the plants has formed sprouts. They formed two weeks ago when Chicago got that odd October heat wave of temperatures in the 80+ range. These sprouts are loose and malformed. None of the other plants are showing any signs of sprouting.

I know Brussels are very cold hardy, so will the rest still possibly form sprouts as the nighttime temps hit the 30s this week? With the waning daylight?

Also, if anyone wants to tell me what I am doing wrong with my sprouts, I'd appreciate it. They are my favorite fall veg and my biggest disappointment two years running (not counting the Kale that the rabbits ate a majority of upon planting out).

Thanks!

Kim

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting