SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
105eleven

Elephant ear (newbie)

105eleven
10 years ago

Hi all, I got this plant (which I was told is an elephant ear) about a month ago.

I was just wondering if it is looking healthy, and if the splitting of the leaves is normal. Some of the leaves are almost/completely dead (looking dry and dark orange or brown) - I imagine that this is simply the leaves cycling, but do I have to remove these stalks as they die or just let them be?

There has been one new leaf unfurl (about 2 weeks ago) since I got the plant, and it certainly looks the healthiest.

I have been trying to give it indirect sunlight throughout the day, and have been watering it when the dirt begins to look/feel dry (I have it in some direct sunlight in the picture, but it is usually not exposed to this). I have also been misting the leaves somewhat often - usually about once a day, sometimes more, sometimes less.

As stated in the title, I am a complete newbie to plant care, and when I looked up this plant I saw that there were many different variations. I just want to know how exactly I should water/mist the plant, and what type of sun exposure is best for this plant to thrive. I'm glad it hasn't died or anything yet, but I really want to found out it's optimal conditions so that I can try my best to provide them.

Lastly, I assume that some sort of fertilizer is necessary for optimal growth? The store I bought the plant from potted it for me, and put some sort of fertilizer in the soil, but now that it has been a month or so, I imagine I have to put some more in. What type of fertilizer is good for my situation?

I apologize for the long post, but thank you in advance for any help!

Comments (20)