SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chevere33_gw

crazy pear tree issues

16 years ago

I am hoping some of you experienced tree-growers will have a solution for me . . . although I doubt if anyone has ever DONE this!

On Mother's Day 2005, my 18-yeat old son gave me a pear tree. I dug a large hole, planted it, and . . . had a busy summer. I am sure that I didn't water it enough, and I was also sure that it had died. I didn't remove it, though, because I had hopes that it would come back the next year.

Fast forward to spring of 2006. Yup, the top of the tree looked dead (no new leaves), but there were "shoots" coming from the bottom. A local master gardener told me to forget it, that that was just root stock. But the tree had so much sentimental value that I still didn't have the heart to get rid of it, so I left it there and let it do its thing.

Now, around the main trunk, there are what looks like several tiny little trees, each a foot or two tall. I can't help but think that there is some hope for this little guy. What is the best way to treat it? Do I take out the (dead) middle and have a multiple-trunk tree? Is there something else I can do?

Please have a good answer for this hopeful mama!

Comments (6)