SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Male plant for 'Issai' Hardy Kiwi 2

15 years ago

Hi All-

I tried posting this earlier as a reply in another post, but it never brought the posting to the top of the forum. So, I'm reposting it as a new question...

Hi Kiwinut / all

Hopefully people wonÂt mind me bringing up an old post.

I recently purchased a supposedly self-fertile female Issai hardy Kiwi. According to this post though, it looks like I should also plant a male pollinator of some sort. Do you have a favorite variety for zone 6b? IÂd prefer to keep the size smaller if possible. IÂd probably have to order it Bareroot next spring.

2nd question I had planned to grow the vine on a vertical, extendible piece of painted galvanized iron pipe with smaller horizontal steps on it (using "T"s). The base of the pipe is down about 3-4 feet in the ground. I had seen somewhere that this plant only got to 10 or so tall, but now I just saw elsewhere that it can get to 25Â. Is my way of attempting to grow this plant unadvisable? IÂm afraid I donÂt have any fences that I could grow it on. Anybody have any pictures of the growing asaii that theyÂd like to share? Thanks,

-Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Original posting

Comments (9)