SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nilajones

Cherry pruning advice?

NilaJones
10 years ago

Hello, all :).

After much helpful advice from you wise folks, I put my Van with its too-big rootstock in a pot, and moved my Compact Stella to the place suitable only for UFO. I then cut back the Van in an attempt at spanish bush pruning. (If you don't know what trees I'm referring to, don't worry about it -- I'm just including this update/preamble in case anyone does remember and is curious. Anyway, both trees are doing well. :)

My question today is about pruning the Van. In the winter I pruned it to 3 branches, each about a foot long. But rather than each of those producing 4 or 5 long new twigs, like in the pictures on the web, they have each made a little cluster of leaves at their farthest bud, and one long shoot (20" or so) from a bud farther back. The rest of the buds: small clusters of leaves.

Um, so, what am I supposed to do next? Cut the single long shoot on each branch? I am confused by its not looking like the pictures :).

Please let me know if my verbal descriptions are insufficient, and I will wade into the wilds of image hosting.

Thank you all very much for any advice or insight. Luckily, this is my practice tree, so I am not too worried about experimenting on it!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!