SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottlindner_gw

proper pruning of a newly planted peach tree

scottlindner
13 years ago

We just planted a peach tree that I'd guess is about three years old based on information we've read online regarding growth patterns. I know it is important to properly prune the tree for good fruiting very early in its growth. When we bought it from the nursery the main trunk was clipped at the top with another branch trained upward as if it is intended to continue growing vertical just like the original trunk. The tree has grown at least two feet since planting a couple of months ago and we want to ensure it is well shaped for good fruit and easy picking.

I didn't read anything about pruning before purchasing as I just assumed that is normal since all of them were like that. Now that my wife and I have read some information about pruning peach trees we're thinking that many runner going upward shouldn't be there. The tree is growing leaves already but all of the buds are dead due to a late spring freeze. On to my two questions....

1. Do we have to wait until Fall or next Spring to prune or can we do it now?

2. What is the best way to shape the tree so it is best for fruit and easy to pick when it is fully matured? We found one reference online, but we're hesitant to go by just one article we read.

Cheers,

Scott

Comment (1)