SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scuzzynutty_gw

Advice on pruning Blackberry Bush - confused...

scuzzynutty
11 years ago

I had a question about blackberry plants. I am rather new to them (just 2 years now) and had an abundance of fruit from a small plant I planted a year and a half ago. I know that the fruit will bear on the 2nd year of the cane, and then it will never bear fruit again. My question is that I saw on a picture at the store where they tell/show you to trim away the "branches" coming out of the main cane/stalk. By that I assume new branches will grow out of the main stalk that will eventually bear fruit?

Or are you supposed to go to the base of that stalk/cane where it came out of the ground and cut the whole thing out completely.

I ALSO have a thornless blackberry bush that grows very well too, the fruits are ripening now and are huge. There is new growth as well which will bear fruit next year, however, some of those canes/stalks are TALL/LONG, like 12 feet stretching up on a single cane. It's hanging down now because it's too long and it's against the house wall. Is it advisable to cut it shorter and I presume other branches/canes will grow out of it - will it have any adverse effect of the fruit it bears next year, or should I just leave them and let them keep growing?

Does anyone know if Heritage Raspberry bushes grow the same way as blackberry bushes? Both the blackberry bushes above grow like weeds, and really fast which is great. I'm thinking of getting a raspberry bush.

Comments (12)