SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Newbie ? Is it too late to plant grape vines?

highalttransplant
15 years ago

I am new to growing fruit. Last year, it was strawberries, this spring, we planted a couple of apple trees. The plan was to build a pergola over the patio, and grow grape vines over the top. The problem is that it took two months to get approval for the pergola from the town and the HOA, which is ridiculous considering we live in a town of 2,500. Anyway, don't get me started on that rant, LOL!

So I finally got my permit today, but I'm wondering if I'm too late for this year. Most mail order places only ship grape vines in the spring, so I'm assuming that they shouldn't be planted in the fall. It will probably take DH a couple of weekends to get it built, which would put us into the hottest month of the year before I could plant them. I've found a couple of places that are still shipping this week. Should I take a chance and order them now, or just wait until next year?

Oh, and one more question. How long will it take the vines to cover the top of the pergola, and how many years till we actually have something to harvest? Okay, that was two questions.

Dreaming of a grapevine covered pergola,

Bonnie

Comments (5)