SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Butternut Squash

Joe1980
12 years ago

Hi everyone, a couple of weeks ago I made a thread about squash, and with that, I decided I want to grow butternut squash next year. However, I can't seem to find a real answer on the plant size. I read that the Waltham type is best, but I don't know for sure. I can't seem to find any definate info on the size of the plant though. The burpee site makes it seem like a compact vine, but other sources don't seem to agree. I wish to grow on a trellis, and would like to know exactly how tall/big I need to construct my trellis. It will be fabricated out of galvanized pipe and steel, so plenty strong. I just don't want to plant what I expect to stay compact and end up with a monster. My cuke seeds said "up to 6 feet", and they quickly went over the top of my 6 1/2' trellis, so I got surprised there.

So, basically, I am looking for some info from my fellow gardeners who grow butternuts. I'd like to know what variety, and how long the vine actually grew, so I can determine how much space I need. Thank you.

Joe

Comments (31)