SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmdinmn

Help identify and advise on care

13 years ago

I believe this is a Schefflera/Dwarf Umbrella plant - can anyone confirm this or let me know what it is?

I brought it outdoors to take the picture but it usually sits on our porch in the summer and in the living room during the winter. This past winter it started dropping leaves. In the spring I put it in a larger pot, from a 8" to a 10", and moved it out to the porch. It's not dropping leaves anymore, but as you can see from the picture below the leaves are now concentrated at the top third of the plant. The main stems range from 18" to 24" tall, measure from the top of the soil.

My questions:

1) Should I prune the plant to get it to fill out more? If so, how much should I prune?

2) Is this supposed to be more tree-like, meaning upright? When I transplanted it I tried to make the stems site more upright but they want to lay to the side. This may be related to my first question as maybe they are top heavy.

3) How do you propagate these plants?

4) Was the dropping of leaves due to over/under watering or light? This was the first time it dropped leaves in 6+ years of owning the plant.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
{{gwi:94435}}From plant
{{gwi:94436}}From plant

Comments (4)