SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

Apache and Triple Crown pruning

tcstoehr
14 years ago

My Apache blackberries this year are producing very solid, vigorous upright primacanes that looked to me like the were going to touch the sky. So I topped them at 5 feet. They responded by producing more solid, vigorous, upright shoots at the leaf axils, particularly near the top of the canes, that are now again headed for the sky. I did this in early June, was that too soon? Should I have waited until the dormant season? Should I be heading off these shoots? My trellis is only 5.5 feet high.

My Triple Crowns are a year younger and the shoots not quite so large yet, but surprising vigorous considering how small they were last year. I am planning to top them at some point. Their trellis is 8 feet tall with 9-gauge wire and is quite stout. They're planted 6 feet apart. Some of the canes are going off at a 45 degree angle and leveling out horizontally. Should I train them to be straight up or does it matter? What is the best time to top the primacanes off?

I'm thinking maybe topping the canes in the dormant season is the best way for both of these cultivars, and letting them go 30-feet high during the growing season if they are so inclined.

Comments (18)