SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larry_t

Triple Crown trellis and pruning pictures

larry_t
16 years ago

Here are some follow up pictures of my Triple Crown blackberries. I'm sure they aren't the best plants in the world, but this shows the progression of them through different stages, and may be helpful to those who are growing them. Some of the pictures have been posted before, but this is an update.

Here's the trellis. 4 x 4 treated posts, with 2 x 4 treated across the top. About 32' total length.

{{gwi:75080}}

Here's the canes that grew the summer of 2006, and bore fruit in 2007.

{{gwi:75081}}

Here's one of the canes that started growing in the summer of 2007 and will bear fruit in the summer of 2008.

{{gwi:75082}}

Here's what those canes looked like at the end of summer 2007. What a mess. Laterals that are 10' - 20' long, and many taking root.

{{gwi:75083}}

And, finally, what those canes looked like after pruning a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if this is the best way to prune, but the laterals have been cut back to 18" - 36" long. That may be too long because there may be too much overlap, especially because there are 3 large canes close together. But, I didn't want to completely remove one of those canes. I'll see what happens.

{{gwi:75084}}

I hope this is helpful.

Larry

Comments (17)