SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Redwood Empire Food Bank--So Excited!!

loribee2
12 years ago

I just found out that my local food bank in Santa Rosa accepts produce donations from home gardeners. She said, in fact, that fresh produce is their most sought-after donation.

I'd heard somewhere that most food banks won't accept produce from home gardeners--I forget why, but that has always stuck in my head. But when I read about a local program in my town where the food bank sends groceries home with school children, I was prompted to e-mail and double-check. She said YES!!

While I can't come anywhere near Jon's volume, I'm planning on totally revamping my garden next year and gear it toward donating. I might even add a big squash bed in a weedy patch that was once upon a time lawn.

This is very exciting for me, and Jon Hughes, I've got to shout out to you as being my inspiration. I think it's so cool that you put so much effort into helping others, that I've really been wishing I could do something similar, albeit on a smaller scale.

So does anyone here with experience have any advice they can share? My thought was to focus on zucchini, cucumber and pole beans because every near, no matter what the weather, I can grow tons of them. I might also try salad tomatoes, because even in this bad tomato year, I had some serious good luck.

Comments (13)

• ltilton
    12 years ago

A lot of food banks, especially smaller ones, don't have the refrigeration space for produce. The one closest to me doesn't, but I found a larger one nearby that does.

Ask the director what produce is most popular with the clients. Mine gets too much zucchini and tomatoes in the season. I read an article recently that said grapes were considered too fragile but "oranges and apples fly off the shelves."

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Some will, some won't. There is a food pantry/general assistance organization run by a consortium of local churches only about a mile from my house, in a building that used to be a bank. Unfortunately, they can only accept non-perishable foods because they have no refrigeration facilities. Aside from food, they also accept things like clothing and furniture, so I have taken those things up there, but they can't accept any of my extras from the garden.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

Our food bank accepts anything. I took some extra collards we had grown a few times. It was such a great feeling to give them to people1 I work there too. That's a great thing you two are doing!

• loribee2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the moral of the story is to not assume, and call and ask. I was so surprised by the response. In fact, I'd only asked because I was emailing with an unrelated question and figured "while I'm here".

My plan is to send her a list of vegetables I am able to grow in high volume (salad tomatoes, zucchini, pole beans, anaheim peppers) then ask if they have a preference.

I only have experience with vegetables my family eats. Can anyone suggest other veggies they consider low space/high volume they think might be good for me to try?

• ltilton
    12 years ago

You're absolutely right. Call and ask.

I was overrun with green onions one year and made an unplanned donation. They went over well. Maybe cukes instead of zukes.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

Following Jon's lead, I started up a donation table at our local Farmers Market. All the food goes to an individual who puts together a free meal every Sunday for anyone in the community who comes. He uses alot of the food for the meal, but also passes on the food to those who need it.

I have been giving him tomatoes, onions, potatoes and I hope some winter squash, if he would use it. While I could be selling it, I prefer to give it away before it goes bad.

Thanks Jon and keep up the good work!

Jay

• jonhughes
    12 years ago

That is so wonderful, you guys are awesome ;-)
    I Love You Man ;-)

{{gwi:110439}}

{{gwi:110441}}

{{gwi:110442}}

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Do your food banks do personal distribution of foods, or do they send them to satellites to distribute the food? Here it is done many ways - and often the satellites will take perishables only on the day that people pick up their foods. This is what is known as a food pantry here. The food bank is merely the huge storage facility. HOWEVER, our food bank is awesome and has it's own garden and gardeners! Yep, they grow fresh produce, accept produce donations and send it out no problem.
    Consider also soup kitchen type programs. We have one at our church and people sometimes come and donate bread and fruit in boxes. We had it out to anyone who would care to take it home. What would be so helpful when you deliver your veggies to to include any old sacks or bags you have.
    Since our congregation is mainly made of up poor, inner city people most often diagnosed with a mental illness or disability, we have a church garden (we train parishioners as gardeners). Each week we take our bounty, and that from our homes and offer it as an offering. At the end of service anyone is free to come take from the baskets at the front. Rarely is anything left behind. Several of the personal care homes will take extra fresh foods too, that they could not otherwise afford to buy.

So if you are having a hard time finding a place to offer your food, just expand your searches. You might find someone quite pleased to take it.

• loribee2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As I keep looking around, I've now found three organizations in my area that take produce. I also found the website below to a non profit organization that helps people find places to donate their fresh produce. They've got a section where you can enter your zip code and it will bring up a list of charities that have registered with the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: AmpleHarvest.Org

• ltilton
    12 years ago

That's a good site, loribee.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    12 years ago

The typical looking produce has always been well received around my area. The unusual colored tomatoes and peppers and melons I've brought were considered weird, and clients weren't sure what to do with them or else thought something was wrong with them. So I'd suggest growing "normal, everyday" varieties. Also, consider your time. I am glad to donate many things but stay away from beans, peas, etc. that take a longer time to harvest.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

It's called a food bank here. Actually we give the food out 6 days a week. We give everyone a box and tell them to bring it back. Alot of people bring laundry baskets, which are much better because they don't carry roaches. I got shivers (good ones) when I read the story about bringing the veggies to church as an offering. What a great idea! There is a lady that teaches gardening to these people. She is mentoring 10 people now.

• nancyinla
    12 years ago

Thanks to all of you.... I also work with a food pantry and donated fresh produce is a WONDERFUL thing to be able to share with the people who get groceries from us each week. Naturegirl makes a good point - though we can and will distribute anything, the basics are always most wanted.

Another thought, you might consider including a 3 x 5 card with your donation with an explanation of what the produce is ("japanese eggplant" "swiss chard") and how to easily prepare it ("slice and bake in oven at 350* for 15 min" "chop and saute with butter or oil and salt & pepper").

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022