SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

repotting techniques

10 years ago

Two repotting technique questions.

First. How do you repot a plant that consists of a bunch of rooted stem cuttings?

It's easy to hold "a root ball" in place while working the mix into the container around it, but what if there are half a dozen or more little separate root balls? I can't hold them all at the same vertical level but also spaced out a bit from each other horizontally while also filling the pot with soil - not enough hands for that. I've repotted plants with 3 rooted cuttings before no problem, 4-5 was challenging, and now I have a very bushy hoya that seemingly has about a dozen plants in there.

Leaving the old soil clump together helps maintain the position of the little plants relative to each other, but then I have one soil in the middle of another soil, with two different perched water tables and the resulting impossibility of watering correctly.

Any advice? Video links would be great, too.

And another repotting question. I hear the advice to work the mix into the roots gently with a chopstick when repotting. Can someone talk a bit more about how to do that - or better yet point me to a video of the process? I am afraid to injure or break the roots by poking at them with a stick. Does the chopstick advice apply only to certain kinds of plants or mixes - or to all repottings?

What I've been doing is fill the bottom with the mix, hold the plant at the level where I want it with one hand, then gradually pour the mix portion by portion around the roots while rotating the pot as I go along. When roots start covering up, I would shake the pot gently from side to side (say east to west), then rotate 90 degrees and shake gently north to south, so that the mix settles snugly around all the roots on all sides. Intuitively, this seems to me like it would do the job better than poking with a chopstick. What am I not seeing?

Comments (19)