SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Carol's Quilting Projects

kirkus
15 years ago

While Kirk is passionate about his gardens, quilting is what I really enjoy! Since Ben came into our lives, there hasnÂt been much time for either of our favorite hobbies. Wanted to share a few of my favorite quilting projects with you. The first few are wall hangings. There is a raggy Christmas tree skirt, a bed quilt, a throw, and a couple placemats. IÂm really getting the urge to do some serious quilting but Ben can reach the buttons on my machine and loves to change the settings while IÂm sewing. LOL The "doggy" quilt IÂm working on for when he is in a "big-boy" bed is taking forever since I canÂt work on it when heÂs awake! Thanks for your interest in seeing my quilts!

Carol

{{gwi:129010}}

{{gwi:129011}}

{{gwi:129012}}

{{gwi:129013}}

{{gwi:129014}}

{{gwi:129015}}

{{gwi:129016}}

{{gwi:129017}}

{{gwi:129018}}

{{gwi:129019}}

{{gwi:129020}}

Comments (18)

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Gosh, Carol, I don't know where to begin. They are all gorgeous! I love the deers and the bear ones and the last one with the pine trees. But the rest of them are so pretty too. The bed quilt would look perfect in my bedroom. ;^) Love the colors you used in the fall placemat. The Christmas tree skirt is very unique and pretty. Great presentations of the tea cup and deer quilts too! But the bear one would look just right in my living room. Thanks for sharing such pretty treats for the eyes!

Signed,
    Green with Envy

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Oh, Carol...I am in total awe of the lovely work you've done!!

The bed quilt would be great in my master bedroom...love the colors!

Your tree skirt is wonderful...and so me! I use a patchwork duvet cover for my tree skirt. I found it, along with pillow shams, at GW years ago and have used it for a tree skirt for at least the past 7 years. It's so old-fashioned looking and goes with what I call our "Early Poverty" look.

I love all of your quilting, but my personal favorite is the piece with the little deer. It's so sweet...and it could be worth my while to make a trip to Deer Park. Do you hide a door key outside somewhere? chuckle

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us!

~Sandy~

• Related Discussions

My first quilt as you go project

Q

Comments (13)
    Lovely, interested in seeing it put together. QAYG is something I wish I could do better. Did one with a Georgia Bonesteel patterns a long time ago, hand quilted the sq's. but decided it was too difficult at the time to try again. I have studied other techniques since but have never tried. Your quilt is very nice and should be beautiful when finished.
    ...See More

Quilts for Baby James Memorial Project

Q

Comments (87)
    They are going to be induced tomorrow morning, so the donation of these 44 wonderful quilts will be made this weekend. Baby James' brother Aaron Thomas Robinson will be born tomorrow hopefully. I will keep you guys informed.
    ...See More

Reply from Quilt store about Project Linus donation

Q

Comments (9)
    i just got an email from Project Linus. I thought you might want to see this email: Hello! I am writing you to let you know that the store called me about your letter and offered to try to make amends. They asked if I wanted time or fabric. I said that I would like 2 days free use of their longarm machine and that is indeed what I did. We had a backlog of quilts to be quilted, 125 to be exact. I do not own a longarm and had just taken classes, so for me it was perfect. I was able to quilt 10 baby size quilts in the 2 days. A small dent in our pile but a dent! I just wanted to let you know that this happened. l know that what they did was not right, but at least they realized their mistake and have tried to fix it for the future. Maria SimpsonCoordinator for Project Linus I'm pleased. bkay
    ...See More

Not quilting, but a finished project!

Q

Comments (14)
    Very colorful! Nice Finish! I'm a sweater person even in the summer because the air conditioner at work is set so low. I wear cotton cardigans all summer long and big, long, thick sweaters with leggins and boots in the winter.
    ...See More
  • kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am sooooooooooooo proud of my wife Carol and her talents! Here is a shopping cart/high chair cover she made. We use it every time we go shopping and out to dinner! That's Benjamin in the pictures! WAY TO GO CAROL! Love, Kirk, the proud husband

{{gwi:129021}}

{{gwi:129022}}

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Carol,

I have never made quilts so you can imagine how thrilled I am to view the talents of those who create such art that comforts as well.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Susie

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I see you have a "barefoot boy " My DD was that way!! He sure is cute& cozy in his own protective thingie- I saw a lady using 1 yesterday at Whole Foods, 1st 1 I'd seen. Bet it cuts down on illness. Our local market is now using the wet wipes as you walk in with the cart & you wipe it down. I was so thrilled & told them my GF in Wis said that it has greatly cut down on hospital admissions since they started using them at all the grocery stores. I carry hand sanitizer with me & in the car too. It's cut my colds to O the last 6 yrs. so guess it works pretty well. I am in awe of Carol's quilts ,Did she use a pattern for the bear with the others crossing the water ?(I think that is water isn't it) that is so unique. I love the deer & the loops around the branch is perfect finish. What is the fan shape in center of the 1/2 circle is it for over a door? I love your raggedy tree skirt It looks like it came out of a Raggedy Ann book !You are so talented ! Thanks for showng us your great work!!! Jan

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Dear Sweet ~~~ Precious ~~~~ Wonderful ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Kirkus & Ms Carol:

I ~~~~~~~ AM SPEECHLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    has not happened very often in this old grammie's life !!!

Thanks for sharing the pics !!!!
    No wonder you are soooooooooooooo Proud of Carol ~~~Kirk~~~
    Much reason to be..........................
    Those pics belong in a magazine !!!!!!!!!!
    They will be forever in my best memories of
    Wonderful ~~~~~~ Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!! Things to SEE!!!

and of course Baby Ben !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    & Ms "O" some of yours and Ms Carol's
    Best & GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREATEST CREATIONS !!!!!!
    Ya'll & God.............
    have just got a Good corner on this
    B E A U T I F U L * * * C R E A T I O N S !!!!!!
    GOOD STUFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again !!!!!!!! for sharing............
    God Bless !!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy Holidays !!!!!!!!!!!!
    M E R R Y * * * C H R I S T MAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your Friend,
    SusieSunshine
    (

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Hi Carol, Very nice quilts, and the shopping cart cover is very cute. I like the coffee cups and the bear one the best. Funny how a lot of us GJers are also quilters. If you're lucky enough to be a quilter, then you're lucky enough!!! Linda

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Wow, gorgeous gorgeous! How in the world did you manage to applique the bear one? I could never do it, I had a hard enough time appliqueing Dresden Plates, lol! I love them all, but I really love the tree skirt and always wanted to make a quilt like that. Thanks for sharing, you do beautiful work!
    Kudzu

• halley_rose
    15 years ago

Ok Carol that's not fair that one person has all that talent. Absolutely love the 2nd picture of the deer and the bear crossing the water OMG!!!!!!!! The mama moose and baby moose and the evergreen trees are just gorgeous. I think the bear one is my favorite. They'd look alot better on my walls in Wisconsin though. (lol) Kirkus you have every right to be proud of her. Why haven't we seen this before? Thanks for sharing!!!!
    halley_rose

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Ahhh, Carol...Wonderful art work! You and Kudz and Lindasewandsew brought back so many wonderful memories of my Mom...also a quilter. She machined quilt alot and also hand-quilted and tied some sometimes. In her retirement years she made lap robes and baby blanket quilts that she donated down South as a winter Texan...and also here at home to needy Mothers and nursing home folks...and, of course, any new "grandbabies" got blanket quilts!

When Mom was dying of cancer, she kept quilting and finished beautiful quilt covers for us 3 kids. I had mine professionally quilted a year after she died and I will take some pics to share with you later.

When I was very sick and hospitalized for 3 mos. a few yrs. ago, my kids brought me a quilt from here at home that my Mom had also made...it was a bit raggedy but it made my bed feel more like "home"...a retired couple gave my family their basement to stay in while I was hospitalized, because we were 1-l/2 hr. from home...anyway, her sister was visiting and took my quilt and hand-sewed all the raggedy tears...I didn't know it at the time...but while in rehab, my family told me that story & I cuddled with that quilt to keep going & felt close to my Mom.

I love your quilts, Carol...and I do a bit of it myself, machine-quilting...I'm working on a wall-hanging for our teacher son, who loves the Northwoods! Of course, your piece, the "pine trees" calls to me the most! But also the beautiful, beautiful bed size quilts...and I love the patchwork tree skirt! Thanks for sharing! Jeanne S.

• akup_a
    15 years ago

Beautiful work Carol. Where do you & Kirkus get your energy & drive! I'm envious! After work I go home & zone out in front of the telly. Don't bother me til morning!
    I'm partial to cups, saucers & pots so the pot & cups quilt is the best. And your hanger is fabulous.
    Vickie

• leveta
    15 years ago

How wonderful are your artfullness. I truly admire those who can sew like that and make such unique things...

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Carol..you AMAZING woman you! Those quilts are incredible!
    I love the little deer especially. And Kirk must be so proud of that bear quilt he could burst.
    I've looked at these photos over and over, and just can't get over how talented you are. My grandmother use to quilt and sadly I have none of her's. She did them for her church group. You bring back memories of watching her sew them, over 50 yrs ago. Thank you.
    BenBear looks adorable as always, and too huggable!

Jeanne, that was a wonderful story you shared with us.

hugs, Karen

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Carol, you are so talented! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful stitchwork with us. Extremely nice quilting! Beautiful! ~tenderlee

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

* * * I also wanted to say " A Special Thanks to Ms Jeanne" for the special
    Quilt Story............ It was so very very touching !!!
    I also believe that those "SPECIAL QUILTS" have
    a very special COMFORTING way of touching us that
    grew up with ones our Grandmother's and GreatGrandmother's and Mother's made.............

I have one my family made..... the crazy quit ! !
    it is so tattered and worn... but
    it is one of my most comforting and
    SPECIAL TREASURES also !!!

*** So Ms Carol............ see your
    BEAUTIFUL Quilts will be making memories...
    an bring warmth and Special Moments for
    Many Many Years to come.....

GOD BLESS !
    HAPPY H * O * L* I * D * A * Y * S ! ! !
    Merry Christ mas !
    SusieSunshine

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Wow Carol! Somehow I had missed this post until tonight! You are indeed a talented lady! I LOVE your quilting projects! I especially love the heart wallhanging and the bear quilt right after that. Just amazing!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for such encouraging and kind words! I've been trying to get Olivia, our 8 year old, to help me pick out some fabric for a quilt for her bed. She said, "Your quilts are nice, but can't I, please, have a store-bought one this time?" Leave it to kids to be "too" honest!

Kirk, the kids, and I went to 3 craft shows today! We are exhausted but got some great ideas! Kirk isn't allowed to start any new projects until he helps me figure out how to make a train table for Ben's trainset he'll be getting for Christmas.

Jan- The fan shaped piece is really a placemat but I didn't like it enough to make 4 so it is on a side table.

Kudzu- I find that I can get through an applique project as long as I have a big glass of wine. You can usually tell when I began the project and when I ended by how straight my stitching is. LOL

Jeanne- Thank you so much for your inspiring story about your Mom.

Thanks again for making my day! Hope you all enjoy the holidays!
    Carol

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Oh, Carol,your creations are sooooooo beautiful! Girl, that is some kind of talent you have! The details on everything is meticuous! I love the moosies, the deer and the pine trees and the bear, they would all go so perfect in my little cabin-wannabe-home!! Everything you done is gorgeous, Kirk has every right to be so proud of you! I am so glad you showed us everything, I had to go over everything about 4 times to look and look some more!!
    And, yep, A big glass of wine makes a LOT of projects go better! 4 shore! Pat yourself on the back woman and have a nice glass for me! cheers!
    blessings-Sherri

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner