SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Sweet and crunchy Southmoon blueberries this year

Just finished harvesting the Southmoon. They have been on the bush a long time. I'd say 6-8 wks since most turned blue. They are great, by far my best yet. Extremely sweet for a blueberry and still crunchy. They have also developed an unusual flavor. Hard to describe but perhaps slightly fermented. I really like everything about them. Now just hoping it can be repeated.

Southmoon has been described as crunchy and high quality. This is the first yr it has really registered for me. Blue Crisp and Reveille have also been described somewhat the same. Has anyone tried them? I haven't found a source for Blue Crisp since Hartman's left the trade...I think they have. Raintree has Reveille. Is it worth trying?

I'd attribute the high quality this yr with Southmoon to a light crop load and delayed harvest. If anyone questions the effect of overbearing on fruit quality, blueberries are the place to see it first and foremost. I'm pruning hard after harvest and again during bloom. I still have to thin the crop some. I got about 1.5 gallons off the 3-4ft tall by wide Southmoon.

The Fruitnut

Comments (9)