SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
galiana_gw

Red Blueberry Leaves, pH Test Inconclusive

galiana
10 years ago

Hey folks,

We planted 6 blueberries the other day (2 Northland, 2 Bluegold, and 2 Duke). The leaves on each of the bushes have started turning ruddy, which I know might indicate a pH imbalance -- but I'm having a difficult time in getting a pH test to turn out conclusively.

These are in the ground. We bought in soil (1/2 topsoil, 1/2 compost mix) and mixed that approximately half and half with peat moss. My husband added sulfur -- I think he went horrendously overboard and added 10 lbs for our 90 sf bed.

I tested the soil mix before adding sulfur, but despite drying the mix and winnowing out (or trying to winnow out) all the big pieces of organics, the soil mix would never settle out enough for me to actually read the indicator liquid.

I have started another pH test (soil taken from around the bases of the worst-looking plants), but it likewise is not settling out.

Do you have any suggestions for me? The sulfur was only added at planting time and mixed into the entire top 6 inches of the beds -- but since we only planted a week ago I'm not sure how we could be too low on pH.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (12)