SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinvirginia

stupid vegetables don't yield squat.

aliceinvirginia
15 years ago

This is my first attempt at vegetable gardening. I finally managed to find an apartment with a southern exposure and a decent balcony.

I have slaved over container plants, dragging water out there multiple times a day. The weather got strange, the upstairs balcony dropped excess rain in and I got massive blossom end rot. And yellowing branches.

The silly clay water worms don't work.

I dropped back to watering every other day. The eggplant looked sickly, so for about a week I didn't water it at all. Decided to give it a little water/fertilizer, and it is perking up a little. It had blossoms several weeks ago as the two eggplants were forming. But they all fell off. One blossom appeared a couple days ago, fell off, and I noticed another today.

So I decided to try cooking the storebought eggplant. It had gotten mold, so I tried harvesting my two Ichiban eggplants. Both are full of seeds and had extremely tough skin. :-( So back to grocery store overgrown eggplants.

The roma tomato has 75-90% blossom end rot. I've had two good ones, plus two nice looking ripe ones that turned out to be bad. Looking at the one red one and wondering if the rest of green ones will work out. Yanking them out as one after another get blossom end rot. And the bottom half of the plant has been trimmed off as branch after branch gets sickly, yellowing leaves.

The tomatoes in the self-watering containers work a little better. However, the window box water level doesn't work great, and the large one arrived with a broken tube. So no water level there. The yellow leaves are there, just not as bad. I'm judging the water level by looking at how close the reflection is when I pull the fill tube out. And also if the surface gets dry.

The tomatoes that *weren't* Tiny Tim are doing quite well, despite being in a self-watering container with 2 tomatoes and 3 bell peppers. You wouldn't think to have 6 foot vines under those conditions. And still growing. Luckily I found this nice garden arch that is 8' tall for only $10 on sale. The peppers didn't get that tall, but I will have two or three bell peppers each.

But I'm getting tired of tying and retying all these guys. The tomatoes that are forming are dragging the branches down. It looks like the blossoms are at least 10 in a cluster, and often there are more than 5 tomatoes forming. They aren't cherry tomatoes either. Between golf ball and baseball size for the largest ones now.

So if it turns out to be a determinate plant, what am I going to do with at least 50 tomatoes all at once? I don't even like tomatoes that much.

I got eggplant seeds way too late so I am trying to figure out how to greenhouse them for the fall. I'm planting at the time I should be harvesting.

Surprisingly, the lettuce I put in from seed is doing ok, even if the leaves are getting bitter.

The lettuce starts I bought from a nursery are not. I didn't transplant the 6 pack right away and they got rootbound. 2 are doing ok, 2 look almost dead, and 2 not sure. I tried putting a couple outside for a day or two but they got a lot worse.

Building the 5 gallon bucket self-watering containers ended up being a big project and isn't done yet. So I have 4 eggplant seedlings in a 2 1/2 inch pot. And three pots I need to thin them, but wanted to give them a chance to compete for a week or so in the larger container.

My basil seedlings aren't happy outside, but I didn't ease them into it either.

I planted a few pepper seeds and some short maturity eggplants. I figured that 3 months ago tomatoes and peppers sprouted/grew like crazy in little pots outside. Why not try it again. No luck yet. I'm trying another one indoors 3 inches below a compact fluorescent light.

Oh, and the really nice light I got 10 years ago for seasonal depression burnt out not long after I tried using it for seedlings.

I guess I've learned some lessons for next year the hard way.

Alice

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville